Wednesday, May 2, 2012

In favor of the Anthology

In our last class, most offered praise of Bugbee's work becuase it had a more personal feel and thus they found it more enjoyable to read. However, I have to disagree. When rading Bugbee, I felt that an important question was left unanswered in any given day's entry: what does this have to do with class. While some days were easier than others, in general I ended the section feeling confusion whether it was caused by an unknown reference or seemingly randomness of some entries. Of course, I say this with the most respect for Henry Bugbee. I understand that his is a totally different style and structure of writing.

But my preference in writing goes to the anthology. I felt that the articles in the anthology were easier to read as each (usually) had an introduction, a well developed philosophy, and a conclusion. The structure of these articles helped me to identify the thesis of their philosophy and relate it to the class. Secondly, the anathology is essentially self-contained. Most references with in the anathology were references back to previous articles so confusion sometimes found in Bugbee was not found in the anathology.

This, of course, is simply an argument of personal preference. I enjoyed the structured and organized works of the anthology while otheres prefer the personal thoughtfullness of Henry Bugbee. The two books compliment each other in offering a comprehensive look at two different styles of philosophy. I recommend the continued use of this anathology or one of similar structure in future classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment