Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Yellowstone

Recalling Saito's discussion of the lion's rawr in nature versus the lion in the zoo reminds me of the lack of contact I have with wild life living in the suburban setting. With the exception of a playful squirrel or a friendly bird, my encounters with animals are limited to those with my dogs.
This is why, when we talked about appreciating animals in nature without the barrier of the zoo, i instantly remembered my vacation to Yellowstone. Yellowstone allows its visitors to experience wildlife without the barrier of the zoo. I thought it was fanastic. Bison roaming through the campsite, driving alongside elk, hiking around mountain goats: the experience was amazing.
The power of these creatures cannot truly be seen in the captive setting. The total difference between seeing a bison graze through the gated field at big bone and to see it coming dangerously close to your tent. Seeing it so close gave me a new respect fot its gentle strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment