Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Blog #6

Going back to the idea that you have to understand something in order to appreciate it aesthetically, I can agree when it comes to art. It is hard for me to truly appreciate a painting that I see hanging in a museum only because I don't know what it took the artist to create it. For example, is it harder to paint with a certain canvas, is it harder to paint with a certain type of paint or how long did it take the artist to finish the paining? I feel that if it took the artist lets say 12 hours to complete a painting and another artist took 5 hours to complete a painting, knowing that might cause me to aesthetically appreciate the painting more. So, for some things, I think knowing a historical context or having a background makes a difference but other times, that doesn't apply and I disagree with Foltz.

No comments:

Post a Comment