Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Disappointment (Blog 5)

I am kind of disappointed with our class book in general thus far.  I feel like all of these philosophers are just  narrow, and I have yet to find a solid argument I really agree with.  While I do enjoy these different viewpoints I think there is something more, and that aesthetic appreciation is kind of a combination of all of them [I think this is what John was trying to say in class?].  I think this appreciation can come from within, it can be influenced by culture, or be enhanced/influenced by the knowledge of science, and that different people have different perceptions of what is aesthetic.  I keep waiting for a viewpoint that engages everything all at once but have not been satisfied, and it bothers me!  My favorite philosophy so far has been the "Engagement" model which I connect to the most, but at the same time I also think that we don't necessarily have to engage in an environment to appreciate something.  I can look at pictures and think things are beautiful and have an appreciation without actually going there.  Anyways, that's how I feel :p

1 comment:

  1. Yuriko Saito attempts a synthesis of the various views that we have encountered so far ( the picturesque, Godlovitch, and Carlson). Perhaps you will find her approach more congenial.

    ReplyDelete