Thursday, February 21, 2013

Gardens (Blog 6)

I actually really liked Scruton haha.  I love people that like to think differently about things and I think he may be grasping at something I think is interesting and relevant, even though he is a bit of a contradiction of course.  Anyways, after class I started thinking about something which I think was propelled by Scruton's mixture of humans and nature and I'm not sure if this thought makes sense so forgive me if it doesn't.  I  just figured I would share it for my next blog.  
 
I have always had a real admiration for gardens.  I have always thought they are aesthetically appealing and someday I would like to have one in the backyard of my future house.  Anyways,  I was wondering if Gardens could be labeled as "Nature".  They are essentially driven from humans, or created by them.  However, gardens can grow and thrive on their own.  When I think about a tree in a garden, it can be planted by a human but can thrive on its own.  A planted seed can grow into a flower or weed, and can soak up water from rain (humans don't have to water it).  Furthermore, gardens can be planted around "natural" environments.  For example, one could make plans to plant flowers around a tree already living in the environment.  So, are gardens "Nature"?  I think so.  I think humans can be involved with Nature, or have a connection to it.  


Pretty garden I would like to saunter in.

1 comment:

  1. Scruton would appreciate your insight about gardens and natural beauty. For him, a garden is in an "intermediary" state between the human and the natural. He has a chapter on gardens in A Very Short Introduction to Beauty (previously published as "Beauty") that you might like. This would make an excellent final paper topic, by the way.

    ReplyDelete