Friday, March 1, 2013

Blog 5

As much as I liked the doodles in the video we watched (on Feb 13th),  I'd have to say that I did not agree with much of what he was saying. I mean, I can understand why he believes aesthetic appreciation is genetic and something that is passed down but I find it hard to see genetics playing a role to why certain things catch my eye in comparison to others. I believe the aesthetic appreciation for both art and nature is different for everybody. Whether or not we're talking about people from my own family or my peers who's ancestors have shared the same country as mine, the way a landscape or someone's artwork is perceived will in fact be different in some way for all of us. If aesthetic appreciation were genetic, wouldn't it make sense to believe your favorite color was genetic as well? Your favorite color(s) is no more genetic than your aesthetic appreciation is because even though there may be some root in our aesthetic appreciation we've all had different experiences, viewpoints, attractions, feelings, and a lot of those things play a part in what we find beautiful or horrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment