Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Curious Writing Style of Henry Bugbee

There's been a few comments in class as well as some blog posts that seem to reflect a frustration or confusion with the writing style of Henry Bugbee.  I tend to agree that large passages of information can go over my head without an inkling of his intent or lesson.  However, I don't think this is because Henry Bugbee is inherently "smarter" than us or that his vocabulary or diction are so advanced that we cannot even understand his writing/speech.  I do believe him to be a brilliant man, but not so brilliant as to not have an ability to communicate with our class members.  I believe that our inability to grasp all of the ideas within The Inward Morning stems from the fact that Bugbee himself doesn't grasp all of the ideas within The Inward Morning.  Above, I have called the book's writing style "curious" for two reasons.  For one, it seeks out answers meticulously.  Henry Bugbee is curious about many, many things.  Also, his style is curious in that it doesn't seek to answer all of the questions it comes across.  It merely seeks to propose them.  The book asks questions rather than answers them and I believe this to be the reason many of us don't see what Bugbee wants us to think.  He doesn't want us to think anything in particular - he just wants us to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment