Monday, April 1, 2013

What a difference three years makes..

Three years ago, my friend came up to visit from Arizona. We went driving in my truck because she was awed by all the greenery around here and we stumbled across Middle Creek Park about ten minutes up the road from my house. It was incredible. There were hiking trails, trees everywhere, and tons of flowers. As we walked the trail, we came across this beautiful, old bridge that connected the trails over the water. We stood on it and marveled at how peaceful everything looked. As we kept on, we trekked down to the water, got stuck in some quicksand and met a snake. In total we spent about two hours hiking around that bridge.

Last night, my friend, Tyler, and I went to the movies. It was a life-changing experience that I can't quite put into words. The last few months of my life have been filled with soul searching and finding God. God and His goodness. The theme of the movie last night was "In giving, we receive." And I was so overcome with this sense of goodness and peacefulness. I tried to think of the most peaceful place I knew and my mind went to that bridge. I needed to share it with him.

We went back to Middle Creek today to find that bridge. As we walked along the trail, he was engulfed in this giant, incredible tree with a cross carved in it. For two people seeking goodness and God, it was perfect. The area around the tree looked so familiar to me and I couldn't place it. It was the tree and the creek. We walked further and came across the wooden and metal skeleton of what looked to me an old pier. It turned out to be the bridge I'd brought him out to see. Upon looking around more, we found a ditched with ashes and nails; it was where they had burned the broken slats.

My heart broke. The most peaceful place I knew here was gone. Ashes. I almost cried. But we kept walking. And as we did, Tyler found a broken piece of china in the sand. This had meaning to both of us—more so to him, which is why he kept it. It made the whole trip worth it, albeit a little sad.

Because the bridge wasn't there, we couldn't continue on the trail. We are planning to go back soon though—this time prepared to cross the creek.

I may have posted this picture here before, but as it no longer stands, this picture is one of the last images of that bridge. Its peacefulness, beauty and goodness now exist only in my heart and memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment