Monday, April 29, 2013

My walk~ It seems I forgot to post this. . .


I went on a walk, on Earth Day, and to test I theory I didn’t ramble in the woods, I rambled in a neighborhood instead, to see what “wilderness” I might find.  I took to the concept of removing myself from the familiar a little too literally, as I had no idea where I was going.  Nonetheless, I made it back in one piece and saw some interesting sights.

The part that sticks out most vividly in my mind is staring at the yards and exteriors of the houses.  Being spring, a lot of houses have flowers outside, either intentionally, or as rashes of yellow and purple wildflowers.  The unintended flowers were in some cases as pretty to me as the carefully planned aesthetically pleasing landscaping located outside of some of the homes.

The visual that provided the most reflection for me was a beautifully crafted yard full of all different shades of purple flowers- in the trees, on the lawn, in the window boxes, hanging in baskets.  Purple was everywhere!  However, I saw a humorous sight among one of the well-dressed flowerbeds, among some purple irises.  Despite the gardener’s best laid plans, a yellow iris and a white iris had bloomed, breaking the blanket of purple.

It just really struck me that despite our attempts to shape nature and make Her our own, the wild and untamed nature of a world shaped by something bigger than we are will always push through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment