Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Blog #2

I'm not quite sure if I understand everything in the first chapter as well so I might have to re-read a bit, but I did like some points the article made.  To think that there was a time when nature was deemed "an unworthy object of aesthetic appreciation" is so fascinating to me as a nature-lover.  I can't imagine looking at beautiful plants and not having any response toward it or thinking of it as a "weed", as Dr. Langguth exemplified.  Since I am more of an artistic person, I didn't even think about the connection between art and science and forgot about how art was used to represent science.  Now I think about how new discoveries have pictures glorifying the subjects and natural environments.  I also agree with what Langguth was saying about things being "subjective", because I personally accept the mentality of "different strokes for different folks" and that various people might have diverse ideas about what is "beautiful."

No comments:

Post a Comment