Friday, January 11, 2013

First Post of the Semester: Me and Koyannisqatsi

Hi, my name is Michael Kalfas and this (Spring 2013) is my first semester at Thomas More College. I have spent the first year and a half of my college career at Georgetown College in Georgetown, Kentucky. While I loved Georgetown I felt I needed to make a change and I believe that God guided my here to Thomas More. I love basketball and baseball and I wouldn't trade my family for anything else in the world. So that's just a little about me.
 So far in Environmental Aesthetics I have been intrigued by Koyaanisqatsi and the different style that it brings to the table. When we first started watching the film on Wednesday of this week I remember being slightly confused because it is unlike any other film I have ever watched. I initially possessed the fear that I would find myself fighting off the urge to sleep as the film has only the musical score for sound. However, what I found as the time passed on Wednesday, as well as during today's class, was that when I stopped and just took the film for what it is I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoy watching the progression of scenes from places where not many people go to the cities where many, many people can be found. While some scenes did not possess the kind of beauty that evoked a typical "awe" moment for me, I found that they each possessed a beauty all their own. While it may be hard to see, I believe there was beauty in the way Reggio stood back and just watched our planet, whether there was the traditional, picturesque beauty that we usually think of or not.
 Thanks for reading; I hope I didn't put anyone to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment