Friday, January 11, 2013

Koyaanisqatsi & A Little About Me

I'm Megan Sparks! I am a sophomore sociology major and a RA in the residence halls here at Thomas More. I have only taken one other philosophy class, which was Death and Dying with Dr. Cate last semester. I really enjoyed that class and I feel like a learned a lot about human nature as well as death and dying. Hopefully, this class will be just as interesting and enjoyable! So far, I have been interested in watching Koyaanisqatsi but a little confused. As the film has progressed, I have been able to see that there is definitely an environmental theme going on. I am leaning toward the idea that the filmmaker is trying to show us that there can be beauty in any environment, rural or urban. However, there have been a few scenes in the urban setting that have been not so beautiful, such as the buildings collapsing and pictures of poverty and trash on the streets. I am interested to see other people's opinions on what the theme of this film is and what all the symbols mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment