Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Blog Entry #2: The Historical Foundations of American Environmental Aesthetics

First of all let me say that after finishing Koyaanisqatsi my appreciation for the film was furthered. I thought it was interesting how in the interview with the director he said that the film was different things to different people as this was a thought that I had myself during the second day of viewing the film. To me the film was a survey of various landscapes on the planet, from rural to cityscapes, and a in some respects a commentary on the human condition. I enjoyed it and I plan to get my own copy so I can view it again in the future.

Now to the article that we had to read for Wednesday's class discussion. For starters, I feel that the article was somewhat dense and is almost certainly worthy of re-reading in order to more accurately grasp what the author is trying to say. That being said I am honestly not sure if I got a general sense of what it was saying or if I was completely off target, so I think Wednesday's class discussion will be an interesting one as I try to gage my own comprehension of the text so far. Regardless of whether or not I correctly comprehended everything the author (which I am sure I did not) there were a few things that I found interesting in the article. The first thing that I found interesting was on page 33 of the text when it is talking about how poetry and art influenced travel accounts of the nineteenth century. Here it mentions the journals of Lewis and Clark. I have only looked at the journey of Lewis and Clark as it pertains to historical importance, not in any environmental or aesthetic terms. The new light that was shed on this was quite interesting to me. Also interesting to me was the section on "Transcendental Philosophy" on pages 42-43. In high school I did extensive study on transcendentalism and this brief section allowed me to revisit thoughts that I had and ideas that I had developed previously and forgotten about. Overall I didn't mind the article, even thought it was dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment