Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What is that?



I bet when you looked at this the first question you had was, " What in the world is that?" Well to answer your question; this is a microscope slide of heart tissue from a mouse that I obtained, fixed, cut, mounted and stained and obviously took a photo of.  In my Cell Biology class we had to perform an independent research project I examined mouse tissues and slide stains.  This is a Tri-chrome stain, of course tri means three and chrome means color.  If you examine it closely enough there is the presence of three colors purple, blue and orange/red.  Now heart tissue is mostly composed of muscle fibers that woudl be the purple you see. However there is also conective tissue which binds tissues together, that is the orange.  Obviously there is also blood cells in the heart and that is the blue.  I hope this provided an example to you of how Carlson's Natural Environmental model holds great significance. Before I explained this it probably meant nothing, maybe now you have a greater aesthetic appreciation for nature on the microscopic scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment