Friday, February 10, 2012

Blog 5: A Picturesque Inclination


As an artist, deciding on a landscape to paint or photograph has proven to be challenging quite often. Similar to the artists that John Muir encountered, I too am inclined to look for the picturesque. Due to the fact that the traditional scenic landscape is so commonplace within the art world, it is almost as if this way of viewing nature is engraved in my mind as the ‘correct’ way. It’s possible that these perfect scenes are painted or photographed primarily because their beauty translates well to the viewer. Whereas a sublime landscape piece may not produce the same instant response, if a response is evoked at all. The underlying reality is that we collectively deem certain objects, people, and places as beautiful. It is works centered on these agreeably beautiful things which will undoubtedly receive praise for capturing perfection.

My typical picturesque landscape
Sublime landscape

However, more and more I find myself attempting to find beauty in the sublime landscape. Often it’s not an easy task, which may be why I tend to shy away from the sublime and resort to the straightforward picturesque. When looking for landscapes to photograph I came across an interesting scene in Eden Park. It was an overcast, misty day, which under the picturesque mind-set would be nearly a recipe for failure. Although I was not particularly optimistic about the photos I was taking, I soon saw an isolated strange looking tree. After shooting many frames while toying with the composition, I finally came across one that was decent. However, it was only after going through my shots multiple times that I found value in the picture. The beauty of this landscape is present, but it’s not as obvious. The elements of mystery and the unknown are what give the landscape its hidden beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment