Sunday, February 12, 2012

If I could draw more than doodles.

We've been talking a lot about how nature and art relate, and how the beauty of nature is judged through the beauty of art. Most of the art we've discussed and looked at have been landscapes, whether it be of a large majestic mountain range, a warm tropical beach, a quite forest, or even our so called dismal swamp. But in my opinion, if I had any artistic ability at all, I would attempt to draw the side of nature that many people don't get to see such as the power that nature truly holds over us.
Some of the things I would include in my paintings would be the pure forces of nature like storms, earthquakes, landslides, wildfires, floods, and all the other natural "disasters" that people consider dangerous. To us we consider these acts of nature disasters because of the damage they cause to our man made structures as well as the casualties that may occur. But before there were buildings to be destroyed by these forces, there was only nature and the effects of these so called disasters were not nearly as severe as they are today. I feel as if people don't recognize the beauty in the pure power of what nature can really do, and since we consider these actions to be so dangerous, we never truly get to just sit and observe them because we are usually huddle in our bathtubs or praying our basements won't flood. So if I were an artist drawing natural things, I would attempt to capture these acts of nature in my paintings like these artist have tried to do in theirs.




1 comment:

  1. I am not an artist at all, no matter how hard i try. I would love to be able to paint and draw, and when Im in scenic areas of nature, I always think of the aspect i would sktech our and later draw; they usually consist of the horizon over the lake by my house, or the sunset or how the moon looks in the night sky. I would love to be able to capture exactly what i see. This especially happens when i travel to new places, like when i went to north carolina, or the beach, or when i traveled to Europe. Because i am not an artist, i think that is why I am so interested in scenic paintings because in a way i eny the artist's talent.

    ReplyDelete