Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mackinac Island

Mackinac Island is an 8 mile long/wide island that is located by the upper peninsula of Michigan. This island has multiple different outstanding qualities about it that make me love it! It is a purely automotive free island, with the exception of the ambulance, fire truck, and garbage truck; it is driven by pure man and horse-power, in the literal sense. People who arrive on the island must transport themselves via walking, biking, horseback riding, or horse drawn carriages. With the exception of a Starbucks that was added within the last 2 years and Ruby's fudge, it has absolutely NO commercialized chains! Mackinac has only "homemade" restaurants, hotels, coffee shops, etc. This island, to begin to try and describe it with words is difficult. I love coming here and just listening to the horse hooves on the mainstreet (picture below is of), listening to the lake splash against the rocks outside by my hotel, hearing the ferries pulling into port, and so much more! I have also riddenthe 8 miles that is Mackinac a
nd enjoyed every second of it! I made pit stops along the way which I climbed over 100 stairs to get tosee an arc that was created by the water eroding it that was once there, looking out across the lake to see the Mackinac
Bridge, looking down to the "beach" portion and seeing a rock formation of a propo
sal to someone (The arc mentioned is pictured below). All of these combined with just the serene beauty of the noise and even the lack there-of sometimes just make me love Mackinac even more as my comfort place and the place I can take my mind when the world around me is too stressful. I recommend that anyone of you have the chance
to go up just for a couple days (it's best during the month of October!!) and enjoy the beauty that is Mackinac Island, Michigan!








The image that is below is that of my favorite hotel, The Lakeview Hotel. Though it looks quite plain and like any other hotel, it is the oppos
ite, once you walk into the hotel, you can sense the calmness and the enjoyment that someone is about to experience. On the main floor there is a reception hall as well as a pool and hot tub in the MIDDLE of the hotel and the balconies that connect the rooms overlook everything!

3 comments:

  1. My family and I took a summer trip to Mackinac Island a couple years ago. We had gone specifically to see the fort and historical recreations. However, I do remember the pungent stench of horse manure and horses in the streets. The architecture there is very quaint, too, as you showed in the pictures. I remember leaving the Island on their ferry and - from a distance - the oblong island capped with trees on one side, a row of brightly colored, "quaint" architecture on the other - seemed very picturesque sitting there in the very blue water. It's a neat place, and I would definitely go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at Mackinac Island about 5 or 6 years ago because my mom had heard of the little island and the independent, antique feel. We rode over on a Ferry and got around the island on bikes. I agree about the stench of manure but the icecream ffrom the little shop makes up for it. It's definetly a place to visit. The franchise free and "mom and pop" shops are a perk too! it looks like a very plain island from the ferry but it was buzzing with things to do when we made our way around! Very cool island

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for you two replying and if you went during the summertime, unfortunately it is a HUGE tourist attraction and people are really packed like sardines, so my parents have told me. I have only ever been up there during October when they're almost shut down for the season, it calm, quiet, and just soo amazing :) Whenever I tell anyone about it I try and get them to go during October when it's a lot less...stinky...I guess is the best word to use. If you're not used to that smell, I am from working with horses and barns during the summer, then it can be overwhelming and not the most enjoyable experience. I'm glad that you both had a good time!

    ReplyDelete