Monday, February 13, 2012

Landscapes: Greece

During summer of 2009 I visited many places in Greece including the Athens, Delphi, and three different islands. Visiting the a few of the worlds first areas of civilizations that are now homes to millions put many things into perspective. While traveling, I took many pictures of the places we went to and tried to put my own point of view as an artist into those photographs also. I love to paint and do so on a regular basis, I tend not to paint landscapes though. I enjoy the details of the whole painting and try to focus on the little pieces of a wider picture. My favorite things to paint are flowers, from petals to leaves and in between. I try not to paint the whole bouquet usually in order to get the look I was going for. I'm more happy with more detail in a little piece of something. Yet, when I was in Greece it was hard not to want to find that perfect picture of the whole area. While taking a cruise through some Greek islands, I found myself collecting pictures of a sail boat with its back to the broad sea. Many of my pictures however were of the land on some of the islands we had stopped at. I have many pictures of doors and flower boxes on the windows, the rocky terrain to lead to the houses, the markets in the streets, and the animals they use to get places. The only landscape pictures I found were of important sculptures or places like the Acropolis. I  found greater enjoyment in the little things that looked "picturesque" to me instead of the greater picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment