Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Marvelous Moon.


As far as any cultivation/mining/ownership of the moon goes, I feel it would be morally wrong simply because I was always so fascinated by the moon when I was younger-and still am. In a way I feel the moon is one of those things that is just incomparable when it comes to the beauty of it. To me there's nothing like laying on a blanket staring at the moon and stars and just letting the massiveness of it all suck you in and make you realize how small you are here on Earth, or sitting around a fire with light flickering on the faces of those around you and the moon lighting up the woods around you and letting you experience the night the way a nocturnal animal would.

To get technical- we should recognize the beauty of the moon by association if anything. If we recognize battlefields for their past events why can't we recognize the moon for it's help in past events. I'm sure there were countless nights before flashlights that it helped to light paths for many people such as Native Americans, hunters and African Americans fleeing slavery on the Underground Railroad. Theres were times I used the moon for light simply because a flashlight would have revealed my location when playing hide-n-go-seek with the other children in my neighborhood. Maybe that's just a shot in the dark-but it's how I feel.

If it wasn't for the moon, what would have been NASA's first goal? It's an important part of history for America. As far as ownership goes, I do not believe that America owns it. Or any other country for that matter. As far as I'm concerned everyone, in a way, has ownership over the moon. Not only one person looks into the sky and sees the moon; Everyone does. I believe if we were to eventually diminish the moon it would change so many things in so many different ways. Children's books such as "Goodnight Moon" would simply be mystifying to feature generations of children that have no clue what the moon is or would really ever have the chance to. The cheesy motivational quote of "Shoot for the moon even if you miss you'll land among the stars" would make no since anymore. Would it become something like, 'Shoot for the sun and hope you miss so you aren't scorched to death'? That doesn't sound very motivational to me. What would Pink Floyd have used to inspire a song instead of Dark Side of the Moon?

Basically, I'm pretty content with letting the moon continue to fascinate younger generations, provide lighting to head into the woods when I go hunting, and to be part of cheesy motivational quotes (no matter how cheesy they are..)

On a lighter note, Goodnight Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment