Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Landscapes

We have often talked about owning the land but not owning the landscape. However, I feel like by owning the land, it gives you the ability to modify the landscape. In my opinion, the landscape isn't just the distant horizon which seems unchangeable but also the immediate view of the land surrounding us.

For example, I live on Taylor Mill road. Just a year ago, my small house sat on a small road hidden by large trees. It had a country feel to it. The sound of the busy road was muffled by a barricade of oaks. When i looked out the window, I didn't feel like I was minutes from the suburbs, but that I was away from it all.

However, with the state construction project to widen Taylor Mill road, their purchase of the land in front of my house also changed my landscape. The busy road is now clearly in the view of the front windows and the small road has been replaced with a gravel driveway. For me, this takes away some part of the 'hominess'. It changed the landscape of my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment