Monday, February 6, 2012

Leopold

This is Montevedeo and Mondavi, two of my horses. The Leopold text said that in order to really understand the whole picture of science it was important to incorporate natural and laboratory education and I couldnt agree more. I could learn about their anatomy and genetic makeup, but it would do me no good in working with them to only have knowledge of their bone structure. What I do know is that their behavior is equally as important. That a simple ear movement can tell you when they are mad and if you dont get out of range of a mean horse with ears pinned back your likely to get hurt. Taking in the whole picture would tell you that you should never walk behind Monty because he will kick you. You may be able to recognize how they eat but not know that if you feed them improperly you will lose a finger. To me with full knowledge of them both naturally and anatomically allows for me to fully appreciate and enjoy them. They fullfill part of my life in a very natural way. The way that I view these guys is very different than someone who may have a different appreciation for their anatomical beauty but not have recognition of their personalities. 

1 comment:

  1. This is very true. I wonder how educators could incorporate animal behavior into their curriculum. It's unfortunate most instructors would be unable to take their students to a horse park or a forest. I wonder whether a field trip to the zoo or a nature center - with a staff naturalist leading a discussion - would be possible. Unfortunately, it all boils down to lack of money - going the same route as fine arts programs.

    ReplyDelete