Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cumberland Falls

My dad has made it him mission to ensure that his children appreciate the beauty of nature as much as he does. From vacations to our backyard, my dad centers his recreational time on finding beauty in the outdoors. His passion for the outdoors is something I've always admired. While he loves visiting the known national beauties such as the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone, I often find our family venturing into the heart of Kentucky to find the state's hidden wonders.

In a less busy time for our family when all of our spring breaks aligned, we used make it a point to spend Easter weekend at a cabin in the woods without cellphones or the internet. My parents didn't just want to hear about the glory of God but instead experience in weekend away from everyday hecticness. It was on one of these Easter trips that we visited Cumberland Falls.

Cumberland Falls offers a unique aspect to the Kentucky lanscape because on a clear night with a full moon a moonbow can be seen in the mist of the water falling over the bluff. The small state park in Corbin, Kentucky is one of the few in the world where this phenomenon can be seen.

For me, seeing the moonbow just nights before Easter Sunday offered far more meaning to me than hearing a similar rendition of a homily I had heard every Easter. It was a beautiful and special sight that I got to experience with my family in my favorite state.

No comments:

Post a Comment