Monday, April 23, 2012

Theatre #10

   The first question that people usually ask when I tell them that I am a Theatre major is: "Where is the theater?" When I tell them it's right across the way from the library they look even more confused then before. I can't say I blame them, the Thomas More College Theater is not what most people would call aesthetically pleasing. In fact, the majors themselves have often wondered how such a space could have been turned into a theater. I've come to the conclusion they looks like it used to house medical students who were viewing their first cadaver from the elevated blue cushioned seat that line the theater walls. It's really a very silly view of the theater, but it was most decent answer I could come up.
    We haven't really touched upon about how urban landscapes are appealing and unappealing and I was reflecting upon the fact that our theater is not aesthetically pleasing at all. The tile/concrete floor which all of Thomas More is covered in does not lend itself well to a theater going atmosphere. It also does not help that there is now paint which cannot be lifted off said floor. The overall atmosphere of the place sends off creepy, cold vibes which only gets worse if you happen to be in there when the lights are off or shut off completely.
     But, it is still the first place I run to (when it's clean for the most part) if I ever need time and space alone and away from people. It is the perfectly quiet place for contemplation and even for it's lack of what most would call aesthetic beauty, it's still a comfort to go there and realize that nothing has changed, nothing will changed, and no one is going to bother you.

No comments:

Post a Comment