Friday, April 20, 2012

Listening to Nature

  The other day when we were sitting outside doing our little listening exercise, I came to a realization. We were supposed to be listening to the sounds of nature and anything else we could hear. As I sat there listening I realized that most of the noise I was hearing came from mostly man made objects such as the sound of the freeway and the sound of construciton. This erked me. When I think of aesthetically pleasing sounds of nature I don't think of freeways and construction sites...but should I? I began thinking and the more I thought the more disappointed I became.
  Humans are part of nature are they not? And as we've all learned nature evolves over time as did the human race. So if you think about it, aren't all man made structures part of nature? You look at a beaver for instance. Beavers make dams to live in. They make them out of materials that come from the earth and do this with their own two hands (or paws, whatever). If we were walking along a river or lake and happend to come across a beaver dam we would stop and stare in awe at how pretty and cool it was to see something so natural and what not. But we never seem to have that reaction when walking by your own house or driving down the highway. Humans are part of nature, and we built all our structures from materials that we pulled from the Earth making them structures of nature, right?
  These thoughts kind of disappointed me because in my own personal opinion, I enjoy the quiet, relaxed part of nature. The sounds of wind, trees, birds, and streams are what please me the most, not cars and bulldozers. But who am I to complain if these cars and bulldozers are just another aspect of this new evolved nature? I just hope it doesn't catch on more than it already has.

1 comment:

  1. I really like what you mean about how when coming across a beaver dam we would stop in awe but when we come across a man-made structure, we're generally thinking, great, something else to take up space in an already confined area. I do agree that to a certain extent, the noises that annoy us when trying to listen to "nature" or the "environment", are part of the environment, because, in a sense, humans are the "environment" we make it, we live in it, and we deal with it everyday! It makes us and we make it!

    ReplyDelete