Monday, April 23, 2012

Inspiration from Bugbee

    I realized the other day that I forgot to blog about Henry Bugbee when I looked at the assigned readings I had for him a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed working with the text and reading over the pieces that I had been assigned and even though a lot of it was a very dense read I did find that inspiration caught my eye within the first couple of pages when he talked about writing.

    Now granted he was talking about writing in the sense of finding out what your true philosophy on life and nature was, but I thought it was a great message for someone like myself who is an English major with a creative writing concentration. Finally something clicks within philosophy! A way for me to express ideas that fits within my own studies.

    I feel like Bugbee had a huge point to express within that small section. Writing down thoughts and ideas with an emphasis upon reflection should be something that people should do, in general. We go through so much during one day that taking the time to reflect upon the world and it's environment should be a way to not only clam us down, but get our brains functioning on a deeper level instead of shuffling through the normal day to day drivel we enforce ourselves to deem as 'acceptable'.

    That comes off preachy, but I think it's a valid point. How would any of the world's great philosophers have come to truly understand their own field or work without contemplation and the written word or another art form perhaps? That's something that should be passed down to people everyday. We always say that if we don't stand for something we'll fall for anything. Bringing in the element of contemplation should be a way of finding our what we stand for which should include, for this class, how we view and appreciate nature and the natural environment we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment