Thursday, January 19, 2012

Blog #1 Me and My Environment

Hello, my name is Jackie Philippo. I am currently a junior nursing student at tmc. I've never blogged before nor have I ever read a blog. So, since access has been granted to the site I have a little bit of catching up to do and a little learning on how this all works.
Over break I went to ft. myers florida to visit family. This is where I visited a small stream/river area in which manatee harbor in the winter time. The water is quite chilly in the winter time here so they have found their way to an area just outside of a power plant where warm water is put off into the river. The manatee reside by the hundreds here in an area not necessarily inhabited naturally. But, I couldn't help but think about the movie and how the eco system 20 miles from the cave was being altered by the same thing. No albino crocodiles are here but the staff that run this small viewing area are able to care for these animals more effectively. They can examine them for injuries and treat them for ailments. I can't help but think how this is unnatural to them but could be helpful in the overall well being of some that may not have been otherwise rescued. The staff have also set up areas in which learning is facilitated and you can see and hear them in the most "natural" habitat. It was very interesting/beautiful to take the time to appreciate these animals. We just stood there for quite sometime to watch them make their slow subtle movements. The occasionally stuck their noses above the water to breath and then went back to floating or swimming. It was a beautiful experience to see them so close.
This picture does not do this area justice for how many manatees were inhabiting the small river area. But, you can clearly see a handful of them close to the surface. I had a wonderful experience of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment