Friday, January 20, 2012

Blog 2: Carter Caves


Every year, in the fall, my entire extended family takes a weekend trip to Carter Caves State Park. As dorky as it may sound, we have walked on every trail, visited every cave, basically memorized the lodge dining room menu, and know the cabins by heart. To some I’m sure vacationing at the same place seems rather boring, but to us the beauty and atmosphere of Carter Caves is enough to keep us coming back again and again. This place is also slightly different every time. Some years the leaves are still green and the water is warm, others the trees are decorated with various shades of yellow, orange, and red and the weather is chilly. Either way we appreciate the gorgeous scenery and the opportunity to spend time with family.

Each night one of the eight families hosts a party in their cabin. As lovely as the outdoors are at this state park, some of my favorite memories have taken place within the park’s quaint cabins. We play cards, dance, watch movies, eat mass amounts of junk food, and thoroughly enjoy each other’s company. My uncles are never short on jokes, my aunts rejoice in gossiping, and my little cousins always seem to be on the move. It is within these cabins that I feel at home, surrounded by the smiles and laughter of those I love.


Natural Bridge
Our cute cabin :)

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. Trying to a revive a tradition on my mother's side of the family, my family has gone camping in Indiana. Camping is a great way to leave behind one's "baggage" for a little while to be with family. We too spend most of our time in the evenings playing cards after cooking hamburgers - after waiting hours just to get a good fire going. Actually, the smell and sight of a cooking fire is very aesthetic.

    Personally, fire could be categorized under the "interesting" category.

    ReplyDelete