Friday, January 20, 2012

Blog 1+2: Solace

Hello there. As you've noticed, my name is Sean Fitch. I'm a Freshman-that's-basically-a-Sophomore-credit-wise, a Computer Information Systems(aka Computer Nerd) major, and I hail from that insignificant speck of city known as Paducah on the west side of the state, from a slightly-more-populous-but-no-less-insignificant-desert-city known as Hemet, located in California. Not much else I can tell you since my sister took care of the family history on that. I speak English, some German, veeeeeeery slow Binary, and URL(specifically Troper dialect). You'll notice that last one when I speak on the net ;). Now I missed Blog 1's deadline so I'll have to makeup for Blog 2, as a result this will be....probably the longest post yet. Ah well nothing like setting precedent :P.

So what do I have to share with [you/the world/nobody/the internet/google search bots/etc...]? I can't really exaggerate about fantastic beach views Well I got mountains of pictures, and pictures of mountains from both ends of the world.
This is Hemet. From a [mountain/hill/rocky slope] near my old home. You actually can't see my house in here, it's about 30 degrees to the right. It doesn't seem like much, especially if you look on google maps and the whole area is dusty and brown, but when the conditions are right and the Santa Anna winds come sweeping through lazily with the coolest pickings from the mountains surrounding the city and a piece of the sea winds, the sky is clear, and the sun is shining(but not blistering), you can sit out here and climb onto the large boulders(some as large as 30-40 feet tall) and just enjoy the quiet and maybe even catch a glimpse of the chalky moon lazing around on snowy eastern mountain range. The area is surrounded by homes excluded from the main streets and behind the rocky hillside is a natural amphitheater where the city commences a play yearly. Since it's a once-a-year thing, there's almost no traffic to the area and you can sit down and collect your thoughts.

Why did I bring this up? Because it serves as a nice context to the next piece in my bag-o-tricks. Over the summer I took a ten day trip to southern Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein(30 minute stop), and Switzerland. You can imagine that I saw ALOT of mountainsides(alot of castles and churches which were all fantastic as well), but the one that I'm here to show you is of the Rigi Kulm, a mountain in central Switzerland that sits in between 5 different cities, which can all be seen from the peak.

I wasn't fortunate enough to catch a view of this while it was pristine and sunny. So it ended up [looking/feeling/being experienced] like Puget Sound, Washington.
  

(organizing these was a pain, so I'll just leave it as is)

 It was a 20 minute rail car ride to he top, and the equivalent of a 4-6 hour hike(Because the Swiss are crazy like that) with a peak altitude of almost 2 kilometers. Everything about this mountain put my experiences back in the states to shame. The wind was crisp at lower 40 degree temperatures, the clouds drifting through to carry the smell of rain and pine down to the lakeside villages that dotted the landscape.  This was a moment of solace for me, being able to see for miles in any direction, with just the cool air(a bit too cool mind you, as I didn't bring a warm enough jacket) and the whispers of the mountainside.

So that's all I have to share with you today, maybe I can share other snippets later on, and hopefully you got a chance to [see/feel/experience] the world I live in.





No comments:

Post a Comment