Friday, January 13, 2012

A Mystery Machine

      My name is Adriana Fitch and I am a junior at TMC. I'm an English and Theatre Major so that means I like to say that means I'm twice the crazy because English majors can make a mountain out of a mole hill and Theatre majors put themselves through extreme duress for the sake of art. I like reading, writing, watching movies, and, of course, sleeping but what college student doesn't? My family and I moved to Kentucky about five years ago from the land of little and nothing from a town that if googled it's the only search result that pops up called Hemet, California.

       The town I live in now when I'm at home with my parents is called Paducah. It is not the only town called Paducah (there are apparently two) and it is known for it's quilts. In fact, the National Quilt Museum is in Paducah which I always like to tell people would take an act of Congress to move. For about a week people pour in from across the world to for the annual convention. The streets of our downtown area are near impossible to get through, but it's a fairly enjoyable town if you like a quiet sort of life. On one of my many walks through the downtown area I came across this van which was a replica of Scooby Doo's Mystery Machine. So mix a growing art vibe, the quilters, and good ol' southern style and you have Paducah in a nutshell.

     It was definitely extreme culture shock when I moved there, but it did grow on me after a while. Besides, I  couldn't pass up living in a place where the Mystery Machine could be rolling around the next corner.



No comments:

Post a Comment