Saturday, January 28, 2012

Rotorua, New Zealand

In the reading from last week, the Earl of Dunraven compares Mammoth Hot Springs to those of New Zealand or Iceland. (p.38)

I've been lucky enough to actually visit a hot spring in NZ, and I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it before and don't think I ever will.

I found the springs in Rotorua mystifying, quiet, beautiful and smell rather offensively due to the sulfur.
One of the springs in this park was so acidic that the water was actually a vibrant blue, you can't really tell from the picture below, but the water actually caused parts of the rock wall around it to erode faster than normal.

The springs had a mystifying allure to it, no matter what time of the day it was there was steam just above the water that never seemed to move.

After looking up pictures of Mammoth Hot Springs, I still find Rotorua more intriguing. Maybe it's because it has a special place in my memories, or maybe it's because when traveling in a foreign land everything has a beauty that is incomparable to that of your homeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment