Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Who I am..

I'm Hailee Mink, a 20 year old junior nursing major from a small town in Southwest Ohio. I graduated from Taylor High School in Cleves, Ohio where I was extremely involved in sports and student activities. I lettered four years in soccer and unfortunately gave up my basketball dreams after lettering my freshman and sophomore year. I started a chapter of Unified for UNIFAT with a friend my senior year before graduation. The organization helps support UNIFAT, a school in Uganda that provides food, shelter, teachers, mentors, clothes, shoes, and books to children that are ill, orphaned, or injured from their war-torn country. I believe that this experienced pushed me into the direction of medicine and health care. You can see the damage that occurs in the real world, and work to fix it in your own ways.
Although I may be a nursing major, my current job is with animals, specifically dogs. I work at a facility in Northern Kentucky that is a training and daycare facility. I've been working here for a year and I absolutely love my job. One thing that makes this job different, is that it doesn't feel like work. We're a very different facility, but it's not just playing with dogs all day. The majority of dogs that come to my work are fearful and aggressive. We are strictly positive reinforcement and have banned the use of choke, pinch, and shock collars in the facility. We specialize in rehabilitation for dogs that are typically fear aggressive of humans and other dogs as a result of lack of socialization as a young pup. The best feeling is when a dog comes in that is so scared it tries to attack everyone in site, but with correct education and gentle handling the dog can turn around and be your best friend.
Aside from school and work, my life is pretty simple. I still live in a small town in Ohio and take time when it's available to see people I love and to go out with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment